Emulate any Gamepad as an Xbox 360 Controller – Tutorial

x360ce_General

Update for Windows 8 users : The download which I’ve given doesn’t seem to work on a few games that are running in Windows 8. If you having any issues with it, download the latest package from here named ‘x360ce_lib64_r848_VS2010.zip’ [Depending on the 32/64-bit system you have installed] and then download the ‘x360ce.App-2.1.2.191.zip’ and replace the files with the ones which came in my package. That should fix the issue.

In this tutorial, I’ll show you how you can emulate any gamepad or game controller as an Xbox 360 controller.

What’s the use of this?

As you maybe knowing, an Xbox 360 controller is one of the standard game controllers used by various games of this age. There are also few games that supports only an Xbox 360 controller.  For those, who cannot afford an Xbox 360 controller or those who already own a controller which is not compatible with several games, this tutorial should do the trick.

About x360ce :

x360ce is an opensource project which focuses on emulating an Xbox 360 controller for windows.  It receives input from any game controller and converts into Xbox 360 controller signals and saves it in an dll file which you can use to make your gamepad compatible with almost any game.  You can see the full compatibility list here.

Instructions to use :

1. Download the Xbox 360 Controller Emulator Package here.  You can also download it from the official project page, but this is quicker since I’ve already configured it to work with a generic USB gamepad.
  2. If you wish to change the buttons according to your controller, open up the x360ce.exe and change the settings.
  3. After you are done, close the application and test it using the xinputtest.exe.
  4. Copy the files ‘xinput1_3.dll’, ‘xinput9_1_0.dll’, ‘xbox360cemu.ini’, ‘dinput8.dll’ and ‘Xbox360LibaryWrapper.dll’ and paste them into the root folder of your game directory or in the folder where you can see a lot of similar dll files. [BE SURE TO TAKE BACKUP OF THE FILES IF YOU ARE REPLACING THEM].
  5. Now run the game. If everything went right, you should hear a beep sound when the game boots up.

What if it doesn’t work :

1.  Check whether game is compatible in the game compatibility list. Set the InputHook mode according to your game in the Options screen of ‘x360ce’ application.
  2. Create copy of the file ‘xinput1_3.dll’ with any of the file below and check whether it works:xinput1_2.dll
    xinput1_1.dll
    xinput9_1_0.dll
  3.  Check the forum for support.

Games I’ve tried with :

I’ve tried this with games such as,

• Just Cause 2
  • Need For Speed : The Run
  • Burnout Paradise
  • Grand Theft Auto IV
  • Blur
  • Need For Speed : Hot Pursuit

and all of them work perfect with vibration.  NFS games had more precision in the control and steering only after emulating the gamepad as a Xbox 360 controller.

Feel free if you run into issues, and I’ll help you to solve them.

ElamParithi Arul is Editor At Large and the Owner of Tech Twinklers. He is the founder of the Parithi Network. Basically being a 23 year old Whizkid, He's A Genuine Mac User. An Adventurer. A Tech Enthusiast, An Avid PC and PlayStation Gamer, A Hobbyist Photographer and a Nature Lover. His basic interests are developing Websites, Apps and coming up with various creative ideas for a better vibrant tomorrow. He is a professional blogger for about 4 years and writes blogs regarding technology, gaming, and about his own personal life. You can follow him on Twitter at @Parithi

95 Comments

1. dhiren

June 6, 2012 at 11:00 AM

i tried a lot but this dosen’t work help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 7, 2012 at 6:48 PM

It works only for certain games that uses DirectX…which game are trying out with?

• Tumi

January 29, 2014 at 7:43 PM

it works on fifa 13 thank u.

2. Keshav

June 9, 2012 at 2:12 AM

can i use an xbox 360 controller and a gamepad( a regular one) simultaneously??

June 10, 2012 at 5:41 AM

Yes you can but the game should support multiple controllers at the same time…

3. aftab

June 12, 2012 at 12:48 AM

bro thus this emulator work on max payne 3. Waiting for your comment

June 12, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Haven’t tried it on Max Payne 3 yet but I believe it will work…let me know if it does…

4. Aaditya Barak

July 4, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Does it work with FIFA 12?

July 5, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Yes, it will prefectly work with EA Sport’s FIFA Soccer 12..

5. Bobby

July 11, 2012 at 12:30 AM

What about The Walking Dead? ….painful ..they only support xbox360 controllers and logitechs….please help

July 11, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Since the game only supports Xbox360 controller, most probably this tutorial will work for you.

• Alex

November 3, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Hi I’m also trying to get this to work with the Walking Dead.

Got it working fine with GTA IV so I know my controller works with it. I’ve tried putting the files in the executable directory, with the various different dll names, to no avail. There is a sub-directory in this folder called DirectX, this mostly contains cab files full of dll’s, there are a couple of xinput cabs the most recent contains xinput1_3.dll. I have tried putting the files in this folder too, but it still doesnt work.

Would I be right to think it may be ignoring them as it’s looking inside the cab and not the folder, do you think I need to replace xinput1_3.dll inside the cab, the problem is I can look at cab’s but cant edit them (but I’m guessing I should be able to hunt down a program that will allow me to, anyone know of one?) Is there a way to force it to look outside the cab?

I get the feeling that there should be a way to make it work but I’m getting a bit lost, so if you have any idea’s or suggestions they will be muchly appreciated!

Cheers,
        Alex

6. Sven

July 17, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Hi there,
    I really hope someone can help me. I am really desperate trying to play “London 2012 olympics”. I have 4 N64 Controllers and a USB/PC adapter to plug them into my computer.
    By using X360ce I can successfully play Blur, Sonic&Sega All Stars Racing and many other games.
    But I cannot play Sega’s latest “London 2012 olympics” properly.
    I tried everything. Changing the “hook mode”, inserting all *.*dll files you mentioned, changing the game’s compatibility mode.
    Setting the device type to “unknown”.
    My problem: every button works perfecly ingame, only the N64 stick doesn’t work.
    I even renamed the controller name in the registry.
    I know that the N64 controller doesn’t have enought buttons (compared to the Xbox controller), but I do not need all of the Xbox buttons to play the game.
    The N64 stick and all of the buttons work perfectly when starting the x360ce.exe, but not ingame.
    What can I do, do you have any ideas?
    Thank you very much for your help in advance.
    Cheers
    Sven

July 20, 2012 at 10:01 AM

If all the buttons work perfectly in x360ce.exe application, then the problems with the N64 stick might be with the game. Does the game natively support the X360 controller?

7. Famo

July 21, 2012 at 4:26 AM

Thnx for this. Im using a generic pad with max payne 3 and this works for it just fine. The only problem is with the right analog stick.
    When I push the stick up for max payne to aim high, he ends up aiming low and vice versa.

Is there any way i can alter the configuration to change this?

Note: when I run the 360 emulater/application, everything is how it should be.

• vaibhav tadas

June 15, 2013 at 8:06 PM

I m also playing max payne 3, but the trick doesn’t work plz help me.
      It Beep when game boost but gamepad not working.

8. Famo

July 21, 2012 at 4:37 AM

Ive sorted it out. Theres an option in the in game control settings that inverts the camera direction. Ive swithed it off and everythings normal. Once again thnx.

9. Sven

July 25, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Hiya Parithi,

thanks for your reply. Very nice of you. Yes, Sega’s London 2012 natively supports the Xbox controller. And yes, only this game causes this problem.
    Well I hate being forced to do things, especially if they are against my principles. But in this case I just bought new Xbox controllers and give in.
    I am tired of fiddling with configuration files all the time.
    It is up to Sega to decide, how they would like to treat their customers.
    If they can afford forcing buyers to use a certain controller, okay.
    But as far as I can tell, right now they can’t…

10. Ash

August 21, 2012 at 12:43 AM

The Controller is working perfectly,but it ain’t vibrating, Any solutions??

11. Krishna Bharadwaj

August 29, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Hey there Parithi,

I just bought a ZEB200 JP gamepad from zebronics. ( Yes, it was dumb of me. I know) And now, it isn’t working for skyrim or NFS run. The red light comes on, indicating that it is on, but then, nothing happens when the buttons are pushed. I installed all the latest drivers. Still no difference. My PC is running windows 7. Does that have anything to do with this? Can this Xbox 360 controller emulator fix the problem?

Eagerly awaiting your reply,

A guy who likes to play video games.

August 31, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Yep, It will work perfectly if you had installed the drivers for your gamepad. Fortunately, I have the same joypad as yours and its working perfectly with the vibration in NFS Run (I havent played Skyrim yet). You can download the drivers from this site at : http://techtwinklers.com/2012/03/zebronics-zeb-200jp-joypad-drivers-download/ . Check it out, I hope that fixes your problem :)

• MangalaChozhan

January 8, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Thank you very much dude… Thanks a lot. same Joystick works fine.. I played in Prototype 2… Thanks again friend…

12. arvind

September 8, 2012 at 3:53 PM

i can start the game but it detects same input for both dpad and analog stick
    i am unable to move camera and other things
    please help…..

September 9, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Which game are you playing with?

13. bryan

November 13, 2012 at 5:55 AM

i need help with the walknig dead i have tried all the different inputs. it reconizes my controller but the buttons are messed up for example it makes the B button be the Y button in the game. And i’ve tried doing it in compatible mode but it still doesnt work. Does anyone Know how to fix this?? please help?!

• Greggy

March 18, 2014 at 6:21 AM

because it has such awkward colrnots, ridiculous shoot em up style boss fights which is also a pain since the way the game colrnots and your ship’s response time doesn’t suit those types of encounters and the 3D enviroment doesn’t suit a game like this as enemies keep getting behind you or you back up into a enemy and you wont know it till they kill you because it’s so hard to see alot of times. That’s why.

14. bryan

November 13, 2012 at 6:35 AM

i need help with the walking dead

15. meh

November 19, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Hi!

I can’t seem to get it right. I’ve got a speedlink xeox gamepad and it works with the test program. I am not sure if I’m putting the files in the right folder though. I’ve been trying to get this to work with Skyrim which I’ve bought through Steam.. Where exactly do I put the emulator-files? Just in the game folder? And are there some other settings that I’ve missed perhaps?

Hoping for a fast reply :)

November 20, 2012 at 7:14 AM

You just need to put those files in the game folder…I haven’t tried with Skyrim though…try finding the files that start with xinput**.dll in your game folder and replace them with the emulator files. thats it..hope it helps :)

16. aditya

November 25, 2012 at 5:05 AM

hell yeah …. thanks buddy after lot of research vibration working in street fighter 4 & just cause 2 :)

17. Fadil

November 26, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Hey there, got my Generic USB gamepad working on Fifa, but still nothing with Walking Dead. Any help?

18. Rajin

November 29, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Hello

I have downloaded the program and didn’t change any key settings but i did check that everything works with xinputtest.exe. but i was wondering if this will work on win 8 playing batman arkham asylum and city? i checked the software on my desktop win xp sp3.

thanks in advance.

19. Rajin

November 29, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Hello again

I can confirm that this software runs without any problems on win 8 64bit and with batman askham asylum! but couldnt make it work on nfs the run… one more thing is can you put up a little tutorial on how to edit the keys to my likings? i mean the default keys are great and all but sometimes i just need to press the key the way i am used to!

thanks

20. TAMIM

December 18, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Can I play Dead Or Alive 5 using this emalutaor???? and is there any way to play these games on keyboard when I dont have a game pad!!??

December 20, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Not sure whether it will work with Dead or Alive 5 buddy…I haven’t tried it with that :( a

21. Ken

December 31, 2012 at 11:22 PM

I tried it wit arkham asylum and my twin usb controller pad; all is workin but d Y-axis is stil inverted (up goes down and down goes up). Heeelllllpppp!!!

22. Ken

January 1, 2013 at 4:09 AM

I tried dis wit Arkham asylum and everything worked but d Y-axis is inverted i.e d up goes down n d down goes up. Hellllppp…!

23. Catrik

January 9, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Not working on Walking Dead here either. Works fine in other games.. Using Speedlink Xeox

24. Sourangshu Chowdhury

January 19, 2013 at 6:56 PM

does it work with fifa 13??????????because i tried but still i cant do skill moves in the game(I have Zebronics zeb 200jp_

25. zlaja

January 29, 2013 at 3:19 AM

Hey mate can you tell me pls. how to make my joypad to vibrate i tryed with my friend on his PC and my joystick vibrate and on my PC don’t vibrate and he don’t wanna tell me how to to make to vibrate

26. @denigmatic

February 11, 2013 at 9:01 PM

thanx man you help me a lot.. i hope god blessing you :)

27. Rob

February 21, 2013 at 7:57 PM

great little bit of software BUT I cannot get it to work with Need For Speed World.

Any ideas what I’m doing wrong (followed the instructions above). Anybody else using it with NFSW?

cheers

Rob

28. Jason

February 28, 2013 at 9:14 PM

So i setup the emulator and start skyrim through steam and it makes the beep sound when the game starts.
    the game load as if its using a 360 controller – asking me to use A or B – yet none of the buttons work when I press them

Can I have some help with this please?

29. Lichosis

March 1, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Hi

I’m busy downloading Skyrim from steam! Wil the Speedlink XEOX gamepad – USB that looks like an Xbox remote work for skyrim?? Please email me how to do it pls! I bought the remote just for Skyrim,

30. Lichosis

March 2, 2013 at 2:46 AM

I tried with bionic commando and farcry 3 and skyrim witm my Speedlink Xeox Gaming usb xbox 360 style but in didnt work – please help esspecially with skyrim. pls email me

31. Kestutis

March 16, 2013 at 1:41 AM

Thanks. Great ! Works with Windows 7 64 bit with TERA – Europe

32. jagshish

March 18, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Dude does it work for TOMB RAIDER…..Please help……..!!!

33. Akshay

March 31, 2013 at 12:37 AM

will it work for resident evil 5 on pc

April 3, 2013 at 10:33 AM

i’m not sure…I haven’t tried with it..

34. Mohit

April 1, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Hey Please help me!! you said that you got it working with Burnout Paradise, but i cant.

Controller- Enter E_GPV gamepad
    Windows – 7Professional 64-Bit
    Using files which you linked, All required softs like dirrect x, visual c++,etc updated. pls replyy soon

April 3, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Please try installing again buddy…just copy the files to your game installation folder (where all dlls are stored) and it will work perfectly…

35. Reyki

April 3, 2013 at 11:33 AM

I try with Burnout paradise but not work, i already change inputhook to compatibility, but not work, Can you help?

April 3, 2013 at 12:40 PM

does your joystick work the xinputtest application?

36. Arka

May 8, 2013 at 11:43 PM

I can use the right analog stick of the gamepad properly…..thanks a lot ….but the button setting are all altered in Fifa 13…if i change them back then even it does not have any effect…. Please help

• skimpyy

August 4, 2013 at 4:22 PM

copy the whole x360ce files and paste it on Fifa 12 -> Game folder.

37. Moosa Mahsoom

May 22, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Where should I copy the files for Burnout Paradise

May 22, 2013 at 10:06 PM

In the main root directory…

38. Khin

June 18, 2013 at 1:28 AM

Hello, Can I make my ps3 controller work as xbox 360 with the software ? Thanks

39. Shubhanshu

June 23, 2013 at 1:24 AM

Even i play blur and few other games that you refereed to earlier
    I am able to run the game perfectly but the only problem is the vibration doesn’t work when i play them

plz plz plz suggest a way to fix that

40. Jatin

July 18, 2013 at 1:03 AM

it works like charm for me I have downloaded this frm main site bt I m not able to configure it properly
    or I m having many problems bt I’m very very thankful to u for providing this,,,really good work keep going :)

41. Hemanth

July 19, 2013 at 9:29 PM

i got Enter E-GPV gamepad which is not recognising with burnout game. cant find solution anywhere. drivers are up to date. i tried this method but still failed. any help ?

• rahul

November 7, 2013 at 9:52 AM

i have also got Enter E-gpv gamepad. But the Gamepad controller setting through the control panel->Device and printers is not working. Did you have any kind of problem like this?

Please reply ASAP!

42. Rex

July 21, 2013 at 4:54 AM

I need help for Crysis 3 why it doesn’t work with it?

July 29, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Haven’t tried it with Crysis 3 yet…

43. aoussie

July 21, 2013 at 11:09 PM

hi, Thank you for the tool. i have a basic generic game pad and the tool is really great. it works with nfs carbon, nfs underground2, blur, star trek legacy, but it doen’t work with burnout paradise. i tried evrything, put the dll files in the folder, change the name one by one, but it doesn’t work. windows7 & x360ce.exe also recognises the gamepad as a basic pad and configures it, but xinputtest.exe does not recognise it. can you please help. i have updated my directx 11 to latest updates. burnout still doesnt play on the pad. please guide.

44. krishna

July 24, 2013 at 9:59 AM

tried this for a lot of games worked PERFECTLY ..

but NOT working for assassins creed 3 any solution..?

anyway thx for the tut.

45. ren

August 12, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Thanks a lot

i tried this every time when i wanted to play
    but result was negative

when i downloaded this file and past a copy to the game directory it works fine i am able to play game with vibration

August 16, 2013 at 10:43 AM

What game did you try it out with?

46. Meeis

August 14, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Bro, Does this works with
    F1 Race Stars
    and
    Blur…

August 16, 2013 at 12:58 PM

I think it will work with Blur…not sure about F1 Race stars…I tried it with Nascar 2013, and it does work..

• Meeis

August 17, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Thanks Bro, It works very well. But it works only for two controller only. Would please make it four. It will be much help full.
        And I tried with F1 Race stars and it works…!!
        Thanks in Advance.

47. Eddy

August 17, 2013 at 7:12 AM

Hi i ran into a problem while using this app when i emulate my usb joystick all my buttons work fine except for the left analog it doesnt respond in options menu off a few games such as fifa 2013 and sleeping dogs.

When i first started using this app everything was fine i formated my pc put all drivers back but i now get this glitch no matter which dll i use or even version of the software it seems the bad settings a hard coded into my system somewhere because sometimes the program remembers my settings all by itself.

when i play these games the analog and the d-pad don’t scroll threw menu’s correctly or sometimes at all but once in the game itself all buttons work fine all help is welcomed and will be highly appreciated thanks.

48. Nick

August 17, 2013 at 7:00 PM

I’ve tried this with Skyrim – it beeps at start up but then no controls work at all. =-s

49. Arvind

August 29, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Thanks a lot for the tutorial
    But does this work with Alan wake game bro??

50. Ramkir

September 14, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Now i using tis 2 playing Tomb Raider 2013… txs boss

51. De Urbz

September 18, 2013 at 7:27 PM

I’m using a USB Vibration Gamepad. Every single of my button works fine except left stick and D-pad. The left stick didn’t give any response. Plz explain to me. :(

52. dragon reborn

September 28, 2013 at 9:46 PM

please help me! , i openx x360 file and i cant use it..i cant change the buttons , but i dont really care about changing them , so i open the other file xinputtest and says that no controller is connected…please help!

53. surojit Hembram

October 13, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Thanks..its works well..ooooooo yeah..again thank you very muck for uploading this software…i am using Enter usb joystick.. :D..after using this software tomb raider game turns into console version…i am enjoying tomb raider with my Enter usb joystick.. :D

54. Felipe

October 15, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Hi!

It worked just fine with both Batman Arkham City and Deus Ex but I haven’t been able to make it work on Crysis 1. Can anybody help me on where is the correct address to paste the 4 files? Thanks a lot

55. forson

October 16, 2013 at 1:47 PM

it works thank you very much but can you show us all the configuration

56. w3rewwolf

November 18, 2013 at 3:17 AM

57. nash

December 9, 2013 at 10:31 PM

can i emulate Enter E-GPV Single W Vibration USB Gamepad as an XBOX 360 and use it for ALAN WAKE????? please reply bro…

58. sanjay

January 25, 2014 at 5:48 PM

hi I have a usb frontech 3d game pad
    will it work with this emulator , because in this emulator there is no setting for frontech gamepad,only logitech gamepad and others.
    want to play NFS run in my gamepad please…help
    if it work then please give specific settings & steps
    TY :)

February 6, 2014 at 12:50 PM

are you running it on windows 8?

59. Brenda

January 27, 2014 at 4:17 PM

Helloz… will this work with Splinter Cell Conviction… I’ve been desperately trying to play with a controller… Plz help

60. Sushil

February 3, 2014 at 1:07 PM

Thanks For This
    Got it working on following games –
    Arkham City
    Arkham Origins
    NFS The Run
    NFS Most Wanted 12
    Tomb Raider 13
    Dishorned
    Bioshock Infinite
    Crysis 3
    Far Cry 3

61. johnr

February 8, 2014 at 4:39 PM

i hv fifa 9 it wrks wit my joystick but when i cng de cnrols of my controller the though pass option , when i try to chng dis it doesnt cn u help me

February 10, 2014 at 6:56 AM

I haven’t tried it on Fifa 09 dude..

62. Avinash

March 11, 2014 at 2:40 AM

Sir, i have just bought Frontech gamepad……. and by ur process i’m unable to configure my gamepad……. on executing xinputtest it shows status to be not connected…. i have already installed the drivers and the name of my gamepad is showing in the tab of ur program…. what should i do??? pls help…

63. Sarang

March 24, 2014 at 9:37 PM

I’m going to try. . . . . .

64. Skyrimer

April 12, 2014 at 12:00 AM

Can it work for Skyrim on windows 7

65. shaffies

April 12, 2014 at 5:23 PM

thanks bro, it worked for me in Need for speed rivals

66. Captain Ivory

April 15, 2014 at 5:37 PM

When i open x360ce.exe all i get is an error that says X360 emulator has stopped working.What should i do?